The story begins when the Randall family moved to “the Ridge” of eastern Long Island from Stonington, CT in 1738. There they purchased several thousand acres of wild land with fertile soils. From this beginning, the Randall family spread thoughout this area of Long Island. In 1839, Sylvester Gilmore Randall established his home in Miller [...]
- Pasture season 2011
- PC Dart and winter at the farm
- Barn up 2010
- Randalls in Mt. Sinai, Part 2
- How the Randall family came to Mt.Sinai
- Home for the winter
- Barn up for winter
- Are you ready to own a Randall Lineback?
- Porch Boxes
- Thank You
- Life on a working dairy
- Randall Farms, Mt. Sinai
- Randall Linebacks
- May 2011
- January 2011
- November 2010
- April 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- May 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- Center for Sustainable Agriculture - Promotes sustainable farming systems, including grazing and pasture management.
- Farming Magazine - Farming on a small, ecologically-conscious scale, including the bonds connecting people, land, and community.
- Hamilton Rare Breeds Foundation - A not-for-profit foundation in Hartland, Vermont whose goal is to propagate, conserve,and educate the public about rare breeds of farm animals.
- New England Heritage Breeds Conservancy Inc. - Conserves historic and endangered breeds of livestock and poultry and encourages production of these breeds to advance farmland preservation, biodiversity and sustainable agriculture.
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont - A not-for-profit association of farmers, gardners and consumers working to promote an economically viable and exologically sound Vermont food system for the benefit of current and future generations.
- Organic Dairy Discussion Group - Discussion board focused on organic dairy practices.
- Randall Lineback Breed Association - The official site for the Randall Lineback breed of cattle. RLBA is a not-for-profit organization that was formed in 2005 to preserve, protect, and promote this unique American breed. Includes registry services, detailed history and photos.
- Randall Linebacks at Chapel Hill Farm - An informative site about the Randall Lineback herd at the historic Chapel Hill Farm.
- Real Milk - Everything you ever wanted to know about raw milk. This site is a project of the Weston A. Price Foundation.
- Rural Vermont - A not-for-profit farm advocacy group that represents those who are opposed to corporate industrial agriculture.
- Small Farm Today - The original how-to magazine of alternative and traditional crops, livestock, and direct marketing, established 1984.
- Stackyard - An agricultural supersite presenting a diverse group of topics from the agriculture world.
- The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy - A not-for-profit membership organization working to protect nearly 100 breeds of cattle, goats, horses, asses, sheep, swine and poultry from extinction.
- Vermont Living - Topics of interest for anyone who lives, farms or visits in the Green Mountain state.
- Weston A. Price Foundation - A not-for-profit foundation dedicated to restoring nutrient-dense foods to the human diet through education, research and activism.
Randall Linebacks are a rare breed of cattle which originated in Vermont and are steadily gaining popularity. Here you will find photos and stories about my own Randall Linebacks, as well as my experiences on New England dairy farms.
My childhood home, Randall Farms of Mt. Sinai, NY is also a subject near and dear to me. I have been collecting photos and memories and will share some of them here.
(The name is a coincidence; historic Randall Farms and the Randall Lineback breed bear no known connection.)